www.novarock.at

Aktuelle Zeit: 19.01.2018, 13:15
Foren-Übersicht » NOVA ROCK FORUM » In English

Autor Nachricht
 Betreff des Beitrags: Feedback in English
BeitragVerfasst: 22.06.2017, 09:54 

I hope it's okay to open a short feedback thread in here as well. I can read German but I can't write it. This might also be nice for other English speaking guests to leave some feedback on the festival.

This was my first Nova Rock and my first festival where I camp for multiple days without working there. I've previously been to some big Belgian festivals.

Negative:
-Me and my girlfriend arrived at around 14h on wednesday. By the time we were inside the Green Camping it was already 17h. The waiting line for the Green Camping was ridiculous. No sign on where to wait, the line reached until the first security point, which isn't safe or smart. In the FAQ it is said that you don't have to pay the trash deposit when handing in your Green Camping email and ID, but that was apparently not true. We each had to pay 10€ anyway. We had troubles filling up even one trash bag, but we got both bags filled and the deposits back after some effort at cleaning other people's mess.

-The 5€ which was promised to be given back for Green Camping was apparently the reason for the incredible queue. Then one security guy said that if you don't want the money back you can go in with the email and ID as stated. To me this felt like a huge scam. The way the entry to the Green Camping and the trash deposit was not like we were told before and I waited over one and a half hour in scorching heat for nothing. It even cost us 10€.

-Second queue: the preordered Cashless card. Sounds like a perfect idea to preorder the card and be able to skip some lines. Now the only long line was the one with preordered cards. I could have just queued somewhere at the festival grounds and got myself a card and saved about an hour. By now we have also missed the performance of Airbourne on wednesday.

-More queue: my girlfriend likes a hot tea in the morning, she's not into coffee. The first morning I scout around to see where to get tea. All breakfast stalls have incredible queues again so I give up and return to the tent. I can pick up a coffee from the mobile sellers for myself and have to dissappoint her for the sake of timing. The second morning I want to take some time and get her a tea. It takes me almost an hour before I reach the front of the line and can get a (terrible, but that's expected) coffee and tea. Everything else was sold out, so luckily I didn't queue for nothing like the poor guy in front of me.

-Festival queue: getting your cup filled up with water was again a huge line. At one point the "system broke" but nobody was told that so everyone just stood there and waited without any message, until someone realized it can't be that long to get a cup filled with water. All in all way too few water points, especially if you cannot bring anything inside.

-Security: No problem with stricter security measures, but please either drop them or reinforce them. When I entered the festival grounds for the first time I could pass with my gym bag filled with some snacks and my sweater, my girlfriend could also go through. The second time I come in, half an hour later, I have to throw away a small bag of chips I wanted to bring. That is honestly the most ridiculous thing ever. They don't even sell chips on the festival grounds. That was the last time I got a decent security check, but also the last time I bothered bringing a small bag. My girlfriend had a tote bag that was barely checked throughout the days. Only once a security lady was suspicious about her sunscreen because it's a spray, but after a short demonstration she could take it. The security check at the entrance of the camping is also a joke. The guy feels around in my bag and cooler bag and asks if I have some glass with me. I didn't, but even if I had and said no, nothing would happen. I've seen many people with items that weren't permitted around the camping.
All in all, if you want better security, be sure the people do their job.

-Last queue: Leaving the area. No signs or personnel to tell people where to go, so it was just a guessing game until someone discovered the dirt road on the side that leads to the highway. Funny thing is, that dirt road has signs on how to get to the highway... Just a bit clear communication would save many people 2-3 hours of their life.

I have some more feedback but much of that was addressed in the German section quite a lot so I am sure that will be taken into account for next time. Things like noise from the party tent etc.

Positive:
+Arrival on wednesday by car was okay. Slight queue but that is to be expected.
+ Departure, until the parking, was much smoother than arrival. Getting the deposit back didn't take too long.
+No complaints about the food or drinks !
+Actually not an expensive festival if you don't drink too much in the festival area. But even there prices are very comparable to a normal festival or even a regular bar (for cocktails at least)
+I was pissed off on many things on the first day, but as soon as everything was settled I liked the festival a lot
+Green Camping showers that are open long enough so there's no queue for people who like to shower in the evening.

The main suggestion I would do is to increase the number of staff. I don't know how it is traditionally done in Austria, but in Belgium festivals operate with a few thousand volunteers who get things like free entrance and food coupons in return for working half of the festival. If the breakfast stalls would have about 2-3 people each the queues would be drastically reduced.

Betreff des Beitrags: Re: Feedback in English
BeitragVerfasst: 22.06.2017, 15:05 

Yea, breakfast queues were ridiculous :)

But I'm not sure if Novarock is to blame for that. I queued for an hour for coffee at the small 'Mobile coffee' cars on Thursday morning.

Regarding snacks... I'm actually not sure if they sold really any 'serious' snacks there (even at the campsite stores). (ie. bags of chips / big pringles tubes), though I did not really go looking for those, just realized during the evening cravings that I had not seen such anywhere.

The green camping queue indeed looked ridiculous. I simply walked in on Wednesday morning and got my green camping band on Friday evening (I had a lodge accommodation). The lodges were awesome, but there was obviously some missing information between organizers and them (as we were not even offered the bands until much later) -> we could not use the 'back' entrance to the green camping because there they checked the bands always.

Anyway, until next year. I hope there's more lodges available as I had friends who would also like to come to Novarock but they detest camping.

BeitragVerfasst: 23.06.2017, 07:51 

MTJ hat geschrieben:

Regarding snacks... I'm actually not sure if they sold really any 'serious' snacks there (even at the campsite stores). (ie. bags of chips / big pringles tubes), though I did not really go looking for those, just realized during the evening cravings that I had not seen such anywhere.

Nope, no such things available. At least, I haven't seen any stalls selling stuff like that, during the last years.

BeitragVerfasst: 24.06.2017, 15:47 

MTJ hat geschrieben:

But I'm not sure if Novarock is to blame for that. I queued for an hour for coffee at the small 'Mobile coffee' cars on Thursday morning.

It is. They should sell more stands for other stalls. This would make them money and reduce queues

BeitragVerfasst: 26.06.2017, 08:12 

Aiken Drumn hat geschrieben:
MTJ hat geschrieben:

It is. They should sell more stands for other stalls. This would make them money and reduce queues

Well the current stalls were short handed. The mobile coffee had an espresso machine capable of pouring multiple coffees at once (well. 2 :P ) But I think most of the time the guy just poured one at a time and he had to do some other machine related operations all the time and prepare the more fancy coffees (ie. 30% - 40% of the time the machine was being used, rest of the time he was doing something behind the machine / preparing the more fancy coffees-> 2nd person would have definitely helped)

but sure, if Novarock limited the amount of slots for the shops -> they could add more obviously (maybe they were limited by something also power?).

But yea, maybe next year.

BeitragVerfasst: 26.06.2017, 09:22 

To me it seemed like a lot or all of the people working there were paid for the job. Because I saw the same girl every day at the same drinks stand. It might be interesting to look at the option of volunteering. A separate camping area and free food plus coffee/soft drinks and of course a festival ticket is all that is expected from the organization.

I just returned from working as a volunteer at a festival, smaller scale but still very nice and rewarding. We only had to work 1/3 of the festival and if you take some morning shifts you can see all headliners in the evening.

There might have been volunteers here as well, with the 'security' vest, but that should be handed to a professional security company so that their role in controlling and checking is legally strong and that they have more experience in doing so.

BeitragVerfasst: 26.06.2017, 10:57 

RewindRobin hat geschrieben:
To me it seemed like a lot or all of the people working there were paid for the job. Because I saw the same girl every day at the same drinks stand. It might be interesting to look at the option of volunteering. A separate camping area and free food plus coffee/soft drinks and of course a festival ticket is all that is expected from the organization.

I just returned from working as a volunteer at a festival, smaller scale but still very nice and rewarding. We only had to work 1/3 of the festival and if you take some morning shifts you can see all headliners in the evening.

There might have been volunteers here as well, with the 'security' vest, but that should be handed to a professional security company so that their role in controlling and checking is legally strong and that they have more experience in doing so.

Well, as far as I know, the security guys and the catering guys get paid. But that doesn't make them professionals, as anyone can sign up for those jobs.
Please be aware, that the catering (drinks, food, etc.) is (mostly) not directly from Nova Rock, but from partners and external companies. So, Nova Rock has no direct influence on those matters (prices, amount of food, what they sell, how many people work per stall, etc.)

About volunteering: giving them a ticket, free (soft) drinks and free food is probably more expensive than paying them. And as I said, it's not the "Nova Rock festival" directly, who employs the people, as far as I know.

Also, I was incredibly lucky this year, as I didn't have a lot of waiting time. Nearly no queues for me this year, but I absolutely get what you mean. There where a few thousands of people more then last year, but to me, it seemed that everything was exactly like last time (well, nearly everything)

BeitragVerfasst: 29.06.2017, 09:12 

Thymm hat geschrieben:

Well, as far as I know, the security guys and the catering guys get paid. But that doesn't make them professionals, as anyone can sign up for those jobs.
Please be aware, that the catering (drinks, food, etc.) is (mostly) not directly from Nova Rock, but from partners and external companies. So, Nova Rock has no direct influence on those matters (prices, amount of food, what they sell, how many people work per stall, etc.)

About volunteering: giving them a ticket, free (soft) drinks and free food is probably more expensive than paying them. And as I said, it's not the "Nova Rock festival" directly, who employs the people, as far as I know.

Also, I was incredibly lucky this year, as I didn't have a lot of waiting time. Nearly no queues for me this year, but I absolutely get what you mean. There where a few thousands of people more then last year, but to me, it seemed that everything was exactly like last time (well, nearly everything)

I don't know big details about volunteering compared to paying, since it all depends on the package offered to volunteers and the working wage, but I did notice most of it was from external companies who seem to have underestimated the amount of guests coming. The main lesson either Nova Rock or the external companies should take is that they need to find more staff and many of the people's frustrations would be lower.

BeitragVerfasst: 29.06.2017, 15:02 

I don't know big details about volunteering compared to paying, since it all depends on the package offered to volunteers and the working wage, but I did notice most of it was from external companies who seem to have underestimated the amount of guests coming. The main lesson either Nova Rock or the external companies should take is that they need to find more staff and many of the people's frustrations would be lower.

They never have enough people, not only this year...sadly, this is nothing new.

What I noticed this year, some external companies were hiring people until the start of the festival. Maybe they didn't find enough people.

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde [ Sommerzeit ]